Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- (ヒプノシスマイク-Division Rap Battle-) is a Japanese multimedia project, based off rap and hip-hop, created by King Records under their EVIL LINE RECORDS label. The characters were designed by Idea Factory under their Otomate label, with Yuichiro Momose as the main scenario writer. The project had started on September 2, 2017.
The history of H was eradicated by the Party of Words. Under them, all conflict, small or military-scale was replaced by the use of a special device mesmerizing the psyches of the people, named Hypnosis Microphone. The lyrics channelled through this microphone affect people's sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, making it possible to alter one's state of mind.
Outside of the Chuohku District, men live in the Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Yokohama, Osaka, and Nagoya Divisions. Groups of MCs representing their division would fight over territories with the power of music, with the loser of a rap battle having to hand over a part of their territory to the winner. In this world, where words, not weapons, became tools of power, a legendary rap crew took over most of Japan, behind only the Party of Words, only to mysteriously disband one day.
The Party of Words now, has gathered members of this legendary crew and some related to them to fight with pride, not for territory or war anymore, but for honour and prestige, at Hypnosis Mic - Division Rap Battle.
In the wake of the Third World War that eradicated the fifth of humanity, the government of Japan was overthrown and replaced by the Party of Words, using Hypnosis Mics. The Party of Words had split the country into so-called "Divisions", the only parts of the country where men were allowed to live, with the Chuohku District as the centre. That's how the H Era began.
They handed out the mics to the men, allowing them to participate in the rap battles for the territory, which had almost started a turf war to rule the country. Around that time, the legendary rap group, The Dirty Dawg, consisting of Ichiro Yamada, Samatoki Aohitsugi, Ramuda Amemura and Jakurai Jinguji rose. They took over the entire country, being right after the Party of Words, however, one day, the group disbanded and former friends turned into enemies.
Years later, the Party of Words organized the Division Rap Battle, the grand championship between Divisions' representatives where they can fight each other for money, territory, and prestige. The former members of The Dirty Dawg had formed their own teams to represent their respective home Divisions:
- Ikebukuro Division's Buster Bros!!!, consisting of Ichiro Yamada, Jiro Yamada, and Saburo Yamada.
- Yokohama Division's MAD TRIGGER CREW, consisting of Samatoki Aohitsugi, Jyuto Iruma, and Rio Mason Busujima.
- Shibuya Division's Fling Posse, consisting of Ramuda Amemura, Gentaro Yumeno, and Dice Arisugawa.
- Shinjuku Division's Matenro, consisting of Jakurai Jinguji, Hifumi Izanami, and Doppo Kannonzaka.
Eventually, they were joined by the two new teams, led by former members of a crew Samatoki Aohitsugi was a part of:
- Osaka Division's Dotsuitare Hompo, consisting of Sasara Nurude, Rosho Tsutsujimori, and Rei Amayado.
- Nagoya Division's Bad Ass Temple, consisting of Kuko Harai, Jyushi Aimono, and Hitoya Amaguni.
Cast & Staff
- For all actors, track makers and staff members, working on the Hypnosis Mic, see here.
- More details: List of Drama Tracks
The story of Hypnosis Mic is mainly told through the audio drama tracks included with each CD release (except MAD TRIGGER CREW VS Matenrō) beginning with the current divisions getting together and continuing the plot from there.
There are seven different series of manga adaptations of the series. All of the scenarios are written by Yuichiro Momose. Some limited editions of manga also include exclusive songs and drama tracks.
- Hypnosis Mic -Before the Battle- The Dirty Dawg, illustrated by Rui Karasuduki. The first issue was released in the January 2019 issue (released December 17th).
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side B.B & M.T.C, illustrated by Kanie Tetsuji. The first issue was released in the February 2019 issue (released December 26th).
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side F.P & M, illustrated by Kiiko Jou. The first issue was released in the February 2019 issue (released December 28th).
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side D.H & B.A.T, illustrated by Kikou Aiba, The first issue was released in April 2020.
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Dawn of Divisions, illustrated by Rui Karasuduki. The first issue will release in January 2021.
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side B.B & M.T.C+, illustrated by Zaurus Umami. The first issue will release in January 2021.
- Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side F.P & M+, illustrated by Kiiko Jou. The first issue will release in January 2021.
A series of stage productions that feature various divisions within the Hypnosis Mic franchise, titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rule the Stage, was announced in September 2019.
- The first production, titled -Track.1-, featuring Buster Bros!!!, MAD TRIGGER CREW, and North Bastard, ran from November 15, 2019, to December 1, 2019
- The second production, titled -Track.2-, featuring Fling Posse, Matenrō, and Onigawara Bombers, ran in August 2020.
- The third production, titled -Track.3-, featuring Dotsuitare Hompo and Bad Ass Temple, ran in October 2020.
- The third production, titled -Track.4-, featuring Buster Bros!!!, MAD TRIGGER CREW, Fling Posse, and Matenrō will run in 2021.
An anime adaptation titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima is scheduled for release in October 2020.
Battle Season is a project requiring user participation to vote for teams that battle it out on their respective albums. Those that buy the first press edition of the CDs or purchase select official merch are eligible to vote via the website using a code that comes with the merch.
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 1st Live at Ikebukuro (2017)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 2nd Live at Shinagawa (2018)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 3rd Live at Odaiba (2018)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: Welcome to Our Hood: 4th Live at Osaka (2019)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: SIX SHOTS UNTIL THE DOME: 5th Live (2020)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 2nd D.R.B: 6th Live (2021)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: SUMMIT OF DIVISIONS: 7th Live (2021)
After ending the streams on NicoNico, the live stream series, named -HPNM Hangout!- moved to YouTube. Subaru Kimura, Haruki Ishiya, and Kohei Amasaki host the show with DJ U-ICHI serving as the DJ. They usually invite other seiyuus to talk about the series, as well as others aspects of hip-hop culture, such as DJ-ing, graffiti art and breakdance.
From October 2019 to March 2020, Tokyo FM was hosting radio show titled Hypnosis Radio on Spotify, featuring Hypnosis Mic characters answering fan questions and interview with composers. Daichi Yajima served as the MC.