Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- (ヒプノシスマイク-Division Rap Battle-) is a Japanese multimedia project, based off rap and hip-hop, created by King Records under their EVIL LINE RECORDS label. The characters were designed by Idea Factory under their Otomate label, with Yuichiro Momose as the main scenario writer. The project had started on September 2, 2017.
The history of H was eradicated by an armed military force in a war. The conflict was replaced, not by the military forces, but by a special device mesmerizing the psyches of the people. Its name is Hypnosis Microphone.
The lyrics channeled through this microphone affects people's sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, making it possible to alter a person's state of mind.
Rap is used to determine one's superiority.
Outside of the Chuohku District, men live in the Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Yokohama, Osaka, and Nagoya Divisions.
As each division's representative MC group fought, the districts who won were allowed to acquire certain parts of other territories.
In this world, where words, not weapons, became tools of power, the battles for territories holding men's pride and prestige begins.
In the wake of the Third World War that eradicated the fifth of humanity, the government of Japan was overthrown and replaced by the Party of Words, using Hypnosis Mics. The Party of Words had split the country into so-called "Divisions", the only parts of the country where men were allowed to live, with the Chuohku District as the center. That's how the H Era began.
They handed out the mics to the men, allowing them to participate in the rap battles for the territory, which had almost started a turf war to rule the country. Around that time, the legendary rap group, The Dirty Dawg, consisting of Ichiro Yamada, Samatoki Aohitsugi, Ramuda Amemura and Jakurai Jinguji rised. They took over the entire country, being right after the Party of Words, however, one day, the group disbanded and former friends turned into enemies.
Years later, the Party of Words organized the Division Rap Battle, the grand championship between Divisions' representatives where they can't fight each other for money, territory, and prestige. The former members of The Dirty Dawg had formed their own teams to represent their home Division:
- Ikebukuro Division's Buster Bros!!!, consisting of Ichiro Yamada, Jiro Yamada, and Saburo Yamada.
- Yokohama Division's MAD TRIGGER CREW, consisting of Samatoki Aohitsugi, Jyuto Iruma, and Rio Mason Busujima.
- Shibuya Division's Fling Posse, consisting of Ramuda Amemura, Gentaro Yumeno, and Dice Arisugawa.
- Shinjuku Division's Matenro, consisting of Jakurai Jinguji, Hifumi Izanami, and Doppo Kannonzaka.
Eventually, they were joined by the two new teams:
- Osaka Division's Dotsuitare Hompo, consisting of Sasara Nurude, Rosho Tsutsujimori, and Rei Amayado.
- Nagoya Division's Bad Ass Temple, consisting of Kuko Harai, Jyushi Aimono, and Hitoya Amaguni.
Cast & Staff
- For all actors, track makers and staff members, working on the Hypnosis Mic, see here.
- More details: List of Drama Tracks
The story of Hypnosis Mic is mainly told through the audio drama tracks included with each CD release (except MAD TRIGGER CREW VS Matenrō) beginning with the current divisions getting together and continuing the plot from there.
There are four different series of manga adaptations of Hypnosis Mic. All of their scenarios are written by Yuichiro Momose. Some limited editions of manga also include exclusive duet songs and drama tracks.
- The first is titled Hypnosis Mic -Before the Battle- The Dirty Dawg. Illustrated by Rui Karasuduki, it runs in Kodansha's Shounen Magazine Edge magazine and the first issue was released in the January 2019 issue (released December 17th).
- The second is titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side B.B & M.T.C. Illustrated by Tetsuji Kanie, it runs in Kodansha's Monthly Shounen Sirius magazine and the first issue was released in the February 2019 issue (released December 26th).
- The third is titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side F.P & M. Illustrated by Kiiko Jou, it runs in Ichijinsha's Monthly Comic ZERO-SUM magazine and the first issue was released in the February 2019 issue (released December 28th).
- The fourth is titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- side D.H & B.A.T. Illustrated by Aiba Kiko, it runs in Magazine Pocket and the first issue was released in April 2020.
A series of stage productions that feature various divisions within the Hypnosis Mic franchise, titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rule the Stage, was announced in September 2019.
- The first production, titled -Track.1-, featuring Buster Bros!!!, MAD TRIGGER CREW, and North Bastard, ran from November 15, 2019, to December 1, 2019
- The second production, titled -Track.2-, featuring Fling Posse, Matenrō, and Onigawara Bombers, will run in August 2020.
- The third production, titled -Track.3-, featuring Dotsuitare Hompo and Bad Ass Temple, will run in October 2020.
An anime adaptation titled Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima is scheduled for release in October 2020.
From October 2019 to March 2020, Tokyo FM was hosting radio show titled Hypnosis Radio on Spotify, featuring Hypnosis Mic characters answering fan questions and interview with composers. Daichi Yajima served as the MC.
Battle Season is a project requiring user participation to vote for teams that battle it out on their respective albums. Those that buy the first press edition of the CDs or purchase select official merch are eligible to vote via the website using a code that comes with the merch.
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 1st Live at Ikebukuro (2017)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 2nd Live at Shinagawa (2018)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: 3rd Live at Odaiba (2018)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: Welcome to Our Hood: 4th Live at Osaka (2019)
- Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: SIX SHOTS UNTIL THE DOME: 5th Live (2020; live stream)